Janome 8002D – Worth Buying?
In this review we’ll be discussing and rating the Janome sewing machine (or Overlocker rather), model 8002D. We’ve tested many sewing machines on our website and blog, as well as other Janome models; so do check out our other posts. This one was definitely the most unusual, complex looking one! While the design is spectacular, we also analysed its features and asked our textiles professional, Jan, to give her own review at the end. Read on to learn more.
How do Overlockers work?
On their own, overlockers aren’t useful for whole sewing projects. The main purpose is to create a tough seam while finishing off the edges of your garments for a clean, crisp and professional appearance. While they are specialised, they’re also versatile, making them worth your money- essentially one of its key features is that it does all the hard work for you. The way it actually works is creating a kind of knot to lock down your fabric stitching in place, and it repeats this action all the way. As a result, you attain a durable, strong seam. Selecting a good quality overlocker will really make a huge, noticeable difference in the crispness of your finished project.VIEW PRICE HERE!
- Threading Chart: For further clarity, this product uses a colour coded threading guide to help you correctly thread the needle for your sewing machine. For beginners, threading guides are a great feature; you’ll no longer have to worry about doing it incorrectly, and it will be done relatively quick too.
- Tension Dial (many, varied)
- Differential feed: The differential feed for this overlocking machine is 0.5mm – 2.25mm.
- Retractable Knife: To help with decorative overlocking purposes, the Janome 8002D comes with a retractable upper knife; a great way to enhance the complexity of your projects without a scruffy/amateur appearance.
- 4 Thread: This overlocker is usable with 3 or 4 threads. Refer to the section “Picking the Right overlocker machine” for more information on threads amounts.
- Adjustable: The foot pressure is adjustable on this Janome 8002D overlocker machine, and the cutting width is also adjustable- from 3.1mm to 7.3mm.
- Easy rolled hem: There is a really easy rolled hem conversion on this overlocker machine by Janome.
- Length and Width: On the Janome 8002D, the stitch length is set to 4mm and the seam width is set at 5.7mm. There is also a 1-4mm feed adjustment characteristic, one of this machine’s key features.
- Chop-Chop: There is a built-in thread cutter in this machine, which we personally feel is an underrated feature! We’ve tested a load of sewing machines in the past, and having a built-in thread slicing function helps a great deal. You don’t have to go buy one (though they are inexpensive), and it just saves a lot of space really. Janome have won us over with the simplest of features.
- 1 Janome 8002D sewing machine (overlocker)
- Thread Cutter
- Clip-on Presser Feet (including Standard Presser Foot)
- Pedal Foot Control
- Instruction Manual and Instructional DVD
- A set of Needles
Model/Range: 8002D / Overlocking machines
Dimensions / Size: 38 cm x 37 cm x 35 cm
Item Weight: 7.72kg
Shipping Weight: 7.7kg
Picking the right overlocking Machine:
- Ideally 3-5 thread choices; the higher the number, the stronger the seam
- Fast stitching speed; more important for people who do sewing professionally
- Threading system should be as easy to comprehend as possible
- An LED light- having a good light will make your task a lot easier in a poorly lit room
- Instructions for beginners
- Adjustable: If the stitch length and width is adjustable, that’s great! Ideal for people who work on various projects
- Not suitable for some Fabrics: In terms of which fabrics are best used with this overlocker machine, we recommend: natural fibre/cotton/linen/wool, fine fabrics (chiffon, organza), delicate fabrics (silk, satin, tafetta, velvet), upholstery, knitted fabrics and synthetic fabrics. Unsuitable fabrics, after we tested them out, were shown to be: Tough fabrics (leather, suede), dense fabrics (fur), Animal Fabrics (reptilian skin), Rubber and Plastic, Extra-thick fabrics / many layers and canvas/twill.
- No storage: One of the cons is that there is no built-in or included storage capacity for the included accessories, which is a shame, meaning you will have to go and buy one.
The Final Verdict
We asked our sewing machine pro, Jan, to say a few words about and review the Janome 8002D sewing machine (overlocker). Having worked with various companies, both small and grand scale- Jan’s experience and expertise lies with both home sewing machines and industrial ones.
“Gosh, this is a pretty scarily designed machine! It’s definitely quite suited for industrial-level experience users or the such, because these dials can throw beginners off quite a bit, not so user-friendly at a glance. The overall appearance, I’d say, isn’t as clean as I like, meaning I would usually throw a cover onto it just to hide the lack of aesthetic. The actual functionality is great for the price, for sure, but it is just an overlocker- which is no good on its own. It is definitely rich in functionality for such a specialised purpose. It’s not often you’d get such a feature-rich product for such a price. I’d be one happy customer buying this. I don’t classify myself as one of the regular users of sewing machines at home, it’s more what I do for an occupation, but I feel as though this isn’t much of a home machine. It seems more studio-suited to me. In terms of feel while usage, it is absolutely amazing- sews like a dream. Overall, I’d review this an 8.5/10- that’s me being as scrutinising and critical as possible. The included accessories are quite good for the value too, I just wish there was a storage area for it all. Pretty perfect overlocking machine.”
As per our review on the Janome 8002D sewing machine (overlocker), our ratings are as follows:
Appearance: 7 / 10
Functionality: 9 / 10
Value for Money: 8.5 / 10