Brother CS6000i - Is it Worth it?
In this review we’ll be discussing and rating the Brother CS6000i sewing machine, which is a beautiful and well-built product with accent navy hues. We’ve tested many sewing machines on our website and blog, as well as other Brother sewing machine models; so do check out our other posts. We asked our textiles professional, Jan, to give her own review at the end. Read on to learn more.
- LCD Display: This brother sewing machine features a crisp LCD display which allows you to easily select and switch between different stitch styles- this is great for beginners, who may get panicked and confused when it comes to turning dials to change the stitch design. This way, a simple touch of a screen will get the task done.
- 60 Stitches: Unlike other sewing machine models on the market, this particular sewing machine only has 60 stitches to choose from, which is far less. On average, many sewing machine models have around 100 stitch styles excluding special types, such as monogramming or alphabet stitches. In this Brother machine, there are 7 styles of one-step buttonholes.
- Needle Threader: There is an automatic needle threader (yes!!), with a Needle Position Key which will move the needle to its highest or lowest point depending. For beginners, this a great feature, because threading a tough task to get the hang of. Pivoting between the up and down positions of the needle is smoother and easier on the CS6000i.
- LED Light: Having a monotone, white LED light is great for sewing projects, as yellow-tinged or non-existent lights are equally as annoying and a pain to work with. Yellow lights are to be avoided, they can cause the thread to appear discoloured, making it harder to grasp a clearer image of your final work.
- Strong: Suitable even for leather! This is a special feature actually, because not many domestic sewing machines can handle tough fabrics like leather. The CS6000i sewing machine does the job perfectly though.
- Thread Cutter: The CS6000i sewing machine has a built in, razor-sharp thread cutter which is great as it will save you having to rummage around for a pair of scissors amidst your work.
- Portable: The actual sewing machine is super lightweight, which is pretty crazy considering it has a whole-blown hard drive sitting inside it! There is also a hard carry case included, making it ideal for students who often have to transport their work between class and home.
- Budget-Friendly: Brother sewing machines are often very good value, because they are trusted for their quality while being affordable too. There are a range of sewing and quilting features to choose from, so you're left spoilt for choice- that too within your budget.
- 9 Feet Included: You can choose from 9 included presser feet in the purchase of the Brother CS6000i, scroll down for more information on what's included. Having included presser-feet is great for beginners who may not have an existing collection of feet attachments already, or any other extras such as a bobbin.
- Wide Table: When you buy the Brother CS6000i sewing machine, you get a detachable, oversized table included for those who are making extra large pieces of work. This is great for when making quilts.
- Threading Assistance: For extra threading support, there are easy-to-follow threading diagrams on this machine.
- Speed Control: For better speed-control, there's an integrated slider on the Brother sewing machine, meaning you don't have to focus on how much pressure you apply to the sewing pedal. Simply set your enter pace beforehand and complete your work, the speed won't change if you vary the pressure applied. If pedals aren't your thing, there's a start / stop slider too, so you can ignore the whole pedal altogether. This flexibility makes it a great purchase for beginners.
- Built-In Arm: For more complicated, intricate sewing work there is a free arm which helps sew sleeves on, legs for bottoms and other circular based goods.
- Printed Quick Start Guide
- Instruction Manual (English and Spanish)
- 9 Presser Foot types (a buttonhole foot, overcasting foot, monogramming foot, zipper foot - all included)
Dimensions / Size: 40.6cm x 17cm x 29cm
Product Weight: 5.9kg
Shipping Weight: 8.5kg
Maximum Stitch Speed: 850 spm
Noise: 67.7 db
- Less stitch patterns: There is less range of sewing styles with this machine, as other products on the market tend to have around 100 stitch patterns excluding any alphabet or monogramming. The Janome 350E Embroidery Machine is an excellent example of this machine, check out our thoughts on it here.
- Poor User Friendliness: While there is a screen built in to help make it easier to use, the real deal was with the included instructions- without those, it's difficult to suss out how to use this machine. Find the foot-lowering lever was a bit of a pain, and error messages were uncommon during the general usage of the product, especially when attempting to switch around between stitch patterns.
The Final Verdict:
We asked our sewing machine pro, Jan, to say a few words about the Brother sewing machine. Having worked with various companies, both small and grand scale- Jan’s experience and expertise lies with both home sewing machines and industrial ones.
“Brother never fail to impress with their sewing machine models, and this Brother CS6000i is another great product of theirs. I love the flexibility you get especially with the speed-limiting functionality. That's a real star feature. I feel like this is a great product for beginners and advanced users, just as a result of how flexible it's been designed to be. I really like that. It's not something I would personally buy as it is very similar to the machines I already have, but I would still recommend it to someone in need of a sewing machine. The computerised digital aspect of this sewing machine is also a nice tough, making it a little easier to use compared to traditional sewing machines. I'd say: add this to your basket right away.“
Appearance: 7 / 10
Functionality: 8.5 / 10
Value for Money: 8 / 10
Read about other machine reviews, such as Singer sewing machines, Janome sewing machines and more on our site.