Brother FS40 Sewing Machine Review 2019 – 2020
In this post we’ll be discussing and reviewing the Brother FS40, a classic pale blue and white electronic sewing machine, manufactured by the trusted brand- Brother. With most Brother machines, the product is well worth the price, so we’ll be exploring and determining if this one fits the glove too. We’ve asked our team member, Jan, who is an experienced user of sewing machines having worked with them on a personal as well as industrial scale; to also say a few words about this product. For other reviews and articles about sewing and quilting, read our articles on the site. Read on to learn more.VIEW PRICE HERE!
Below we’ll discuss the features of the FS40 sewing machine:
- Value for Money: One great thing about the Brother FS40 is that there are a lot of presser feet included (a specialised foot will allow you to broaden the range of your projects), so there’s no need for you to fork out and buy more for specialised purposes. You also get 40 stitch types to select from which include; 5 buttonhole and 16 decorative stitches.
- Electronic (computerised) Sewing Machine: This Brother computerised sewing machine may be easier to use for people who don’t like manual sewing machines much. Electronic sewing machines have the added benefit of features which allow for speed control.
- Start/Stop Button: For enhanced speed control, the Brother FS40 features a speed slider and a start / stop button, making it great for beginners who are trying to gain control over the machines usage. Speed limiting is an essential feature for those practising to use sewing machines, so it’s great for students and younger children (supervised).
- Light: Extremely portable, great for textiles students who will be taking work in and out of office often.
- Easy Speed Control: The Brother FS40 comes with a standard foot pedal for controlling sewing speed, as well as being a computerised machine with a start-stop button. However, one of the really great things about this model is that speed control is directly possible using the stop/start button in conjunction with the speed slider. Some advantages of having the option of using/not using the pedal is: it’s ideal for users of limited mobility (if you have joint pains, arthritis or even if you’re a child who cannot reach). Another advantage is that that speed-control is much easier and manageable. When sewing on delicate fabrics or tricky areas on your project, this will help you a lot. You can always switch to faster stitching too; There is no risk of misjudging the amount of pressure you apply to the presser foot!
- Drop in bobbin & drop feed mechanism: The FS40 has a drop-in top loading bobbin system with a clear bobbin cover. This is great because it allows you to keep an eye on your bobbin while you sew. An additional standout feature is that the feed dogs can be dropped, making it great for people who embroider. There is no embroidery foot attachment, however, but check out our review for the Brother FS100WT- that one comes with an embroidery/quilting foot.
- Superb Design: Just like many Brother sewing machines, this one has an impeccable design. While being very easy to use, it also is quiet even when using it at high-power speeds. The stitch quality is also great.
- Length and Width Adjustment: One of the features is a quick-touch stitch selection system with length and width adjustment features.
- Lots of Accessories: When purchasing off Amazon, you get the standard included accessories. If bought off other retailers, you may get an optional extension table, which is great for increasing your working space. A dust cover is included too to protect it further. Refer to the What’s Included section below for further details.
- 5 x 1 Step Button holes
- A maximum stitch width and length of 4mm and 7mm respectively (the latter of which is quite large compared to average maximum stitch length!)
With the purchase of this Brother sewing machine, you get the following included accessories and parts:
- 7 Feet Type (overcast foot, zig-zig foot, buttonhole foot, monogramming foot, blind stitch foot, zipper foot, button sewing foot)
- A seam ripper
- A Twin needle
- An extra spool pin
- A handy Cleaning brush
- A set of needles (read our handy needle guide for info on this!)
- Spare bobbin pack
- A Screwdriver disc
- A pedal foot control
- An Instruction guide as well as an instructional DVD (check the menu for topic-specific tutorials)
Name: Brother Sewing Machine FS40
Model Number: FS40ZU1
Item Dimensions: 39cm x 17cm x 29cm
Shipping Weight: 7.1kg
- Heavy use of Plastic: We’re creeping into 2020, and the next decade should have most of us dropping plastic products in the past! The one sad thing about this machine is how much plastic is used in it. Metals and other materials would’ve been much friendlier but would’ve definitely added to the weight and price tag of this machine.
- No needle Threader: For its price, this Brother machine unfortunately doesn’t come with a needle threader. For those of us who struggle with this, have poor eyesight perhaps or even don’t have the time to focus on it, this can be a let-down.
- Not as Powerful as other Machines: Other sewing machines we’ve tried have a much more powerful motor.
- Small Harp: The harp on the FS40 is small compared to its relative parts and other machines on the market, making large quilting projects quite difficult or impractical.
The Final Verdict
We asked our sewing machine pro, Jan, to say a few words about this model too. Jan has worked with various companies, both small and grand scale- her experience and expertise lies with both home sewing machines and industrial ones.
VIEW PRICE HERE!
“I love Brother’s products, their quality never fails to deliver- this one too is very slick and a pleasure to use. There is a vast array of stitch types to choose from, which is great. This surely will last the test of time as most of their products do. Personally I do not like the cheap/light feel of this model, I like my machines to be slightly heavier. That’s just personal preference though. All in all, the value of this sewing machine is good, the features and accessories you get with this purchase are sufficient for users of all skill levels.”
As per our review and Jan’s review, the final ratings for the Brother FS40 sewing machine go as follows:
Appearance: 8 / 10
Functionality: 8.5 / 10
Value for Money: 8.5 / 10
- 40 Stitch Electronic Sewing Machine
- Drop in bobbin & drop feed mechanism
- Start/ Stop button and speed control which also enables speed limiting
- Quick touch stitch selection and length & width adjustment
- 5 x 1 Step Button holes