Overlocker Sewing Machines
Overlocker sewing machines are specialized sewing machines that sew overlocks, which is a special kind of stitch that sews over the edge of one or more pieces of cloth for edging, hemming, or seaming. Overlocker sewing machines typically cut the edges of the cloth as they are fed through the machine itself. This allows overlocker sewing machines to create hems quickly, easily, and efficiently. Overlocker sewing machines are not for beginners, so make sure you have some experience behind you before you buy one!
There are several important features to keep in mind when shopping for the perfect overlocker sewing machine. By knowing what you want to accomplish with the machine, your budget, and the size of machine you can accomodate, you have won half the battle already. There features to look for in an overlocker sewing machines include:
- Differential fabric feed- This feature allows you to word with a variety of fabrics to produce very high-quality seams. In addition to needing differential fabric feed to create seams, you can also use it in creative ways to experiment with interesting effects in the cloth such as gathering or pleating.
- Retractable knife blade- Although not all overlocker machines have a blade attachment, it is an important feature to consider whether or not you want to have. With a retractable knife blade, you can cut off excess fabric as you sew with your overlocker sewing machine.
These are just a couple of additional features that you will need to consider when purchasing your next overlocker sewing machine. If you carefully think about what you will need this machine for and how often you will use it, then you can be sure you will have a reliable machine for years. We have found that the Brother M343D overlocker sewing machine is sturdy and efficient and would make a great addition to any home or office. Keep reading to learn more about this handy little gadget!
Brother M343D Overlocker Sewing Machine
If you are an experienced craftsman and looking for an overlocker sewing machine, then the Brother M343D may just be perfect for you. Brother is a Japanese company that specializes in sewing machines and has been in business since the late 1950s. Brother manufactures many different kinds of at-home products, including printers and label-makers, but it is perhaps best known for its sewing machines. Brother sewing machines are known to be durable, versatile, and will last you a lifetime.
The Brother M343D sewing machine is a three or four thread overlocker that exhibits extremely good stitch quality. With a speed of 1300 stitches per minute, it is quite quick considering its small size and low price point. There are several hemming options available on this machine including rolled hemming and narrow hemming options. If you purchase additional presser feet, you can also add the option of additional stitches for yourself as well.
The differential fabric feed in this overlocking sewing machine is a must have, especially for tasks like dressmaking. This feature on this particular machine is extremely easy to use and adjust to the required setting that is needed for whatever project you happen to be working on at the time.
In addition to the differential fabric feed, this overlocking sewing machine also includes the following important features:
- LED light- The super bright LED light allows you to see just what is going on with your hemming and seaming. It is extremely powerful and since it is an LED bulb, it will last for thousands of hours before it burns out.
- Free-arm and flat-bed- This sewing machine has a free arm so you can easily work on tubular parts of garments like trouser legs and sleves.
- Thread tension control- Each needle included in this overlocking sewing machine has its own thread tension dial, so you are in complete control while you are using it.
- There are no pesky bobbins; instead, all of the threads come tied together for seamless hemming.
- Users have noted that the instruction manual is extremely easy to follow and it even comes along with an instructional DVD; if you are a visual learner, this is definitely a plus!
- This particular model does not come with a tray to capture stray scraps that you may create during your project, so you will have to purchase that separately if it is important to you.
- Some customers have complained that the Brother customer service that is provided is poor and not very helpful.
Perhaps the most impressive and important feature of the Brother M343D overlocker sewing machine is that it has a retractable knife blade that allows you to slice excess fabric off of your garment while you add a hem. This is an extremely useful addition to any overlocker sewing machine and will have you so much time and hassle. Once you start using an overlocker sewing machine with a retractable knife blade, you will not be able to go back to using one without a retractable knife blade.
If you are an experienced seamstress looking to add a bit of flair and a clean finish to your work, then the Brother M343D overlocker sewing machine will make a great addition to your sewing room.
- 3 or 4 thread over locker
- F.A.S.T lower looper threading system
- Includes an instructional DVD
- led daytime light