Sewing as a Beginner
Have you been thinking about picking up sewing as a hobby or interest? Sewing can be a daunting task, especially if you are a complete novice and even if you are a beginner with a few skills under your belt. Even if you have zero skills to start with, even if you do not know how to set up a sewing machine, you should still try sewing for yourself. There is no reason that you cannot teach yourself how to sew if you have invested in a simple but reliable sewing machine. Before you buy, however, there are a few items to consider.
Beginner Sewing Machines
What should you look for as a beginner who is looking to invest in a sewing machine? Here are a few details that you should keep in mind before making your purchase.
- If you will be undertaking simple sewing projects, then there is no need to purchase a sewing machine with all the bells and whistles. Keep this in mind when looking at sewing machine prices. If you are sticking to basic projects, then there is no need to spend more than £300 on your first sewing machine.
- Keep an eye out for models of sewing machines that have a wide selection of foot attachments; foot attachments are necessary for different components of sewing. You will need different foot attachments if you plan on doing things like inserting a zipper or sewing on a button.
- If you are truly a beginner, then you do not really have a need for superfluous decorative stitches. While decorative stitches can be tempting, having them on your sewing machine can increase its price. The truth is that you do not need that many stitch choices when starting out on your sewing journey.
Sewing is great fun and buying your first sewing machine is very exciting. Consider the Brother AE2500 sewing machine for your first one. It is a great starter sewing machine and has all of the features you need to learn the basics.
Brother AE2500 Sewing Machine
For over 100 years, Brother has been manufacturing reliable, high-quality sewing machines. This Japanese company got started back in 1908 when the Yasui brothers set an unmatched precedent for building expertly engineered sewing machines. The company perfected the art of mass producing sewing machines in 1932 and introduced their first electric sewing machine in 1976. Ever since, Brother has been a leader in the industry and has been known to produce spectacularly designed and reliable sewing machines.
The Brother AE2500 sewing machine is a great beginner sewing machine that is excellent when used for basic projects and mending. This particular model features 17 decorative and utility stitches including one four-step button hole. You can also adjust the stitch length up to 4mm and the stitch width up to 5mm. Selecting the stitches is simple, as you just need to turn the stitch selection dial to whatever stitch you wish to use.VIEW PRICE HERE!
Working on the Brother AE2500 is a pleasant experience. Threading this machine is extremely easy as all you need to do is follow the numerical guides that are etched into the sewing machine body. inserting the bobbin is also easy to do; simply just open the clear plastic bobbin cover and stick the bobbin inside, matching the icon that is on the worktable. The clear plastic bobbin cover is especially handy because you can keep an eye on the bobbin throughout working on your project. That way, you know what you will need to wind more thread on the bobbin. This sewing machine is great for all types of fabrics, including natural fibers like cotton, linen, or wool, fine fabrics like, silk, satin, taffeta, or velvet, knits, and synthetic fabrics like blends, rayon, or polyester.
Purchase of the Brother AE2500 also comes with several sewing accessories. These accessories include:
- Four snap on presser feet (a buttonhole foot, a button foot, a zipper foot, and an all purpose foot)
- Four bobbins and several extra needles
- A darning plate
- A screwdriver.
- The owner’s manual and quick start guide that come with this sewing machine model are extremely easy to understand. It also comes with an instructional DVD which is great if you are more of a visual learner.
- The LED light that comes on this machine is extremely bright and illuminates whatever part of your project you happen to be working on at the time.
- This machine is a good one for quilting, however quilting feet do not come with purchase of the sewing machine itself and must instead by bought separately.
- The scallop stitches that are included on this machine are not very dense, so there is not much payoff if you choose to use them.
Overall, the Brother AE2500 is a perfectly adequate machine for a beginner or even for a child that wishes to learn how to sew. If you happen to be a more experienced sewer, then you would very easily be able to get the hang of this sewing machine and use it to create beautiful and elaborate projects.
- 25 Stitch Sewing Machine
- Drop in bobbin
- LED Lighting - never replace a bulb
- Includes Stretch Stitches & Stitch Length Adjustment
- 4 step button hole