Sewing as a Beginner
Sewing is a fabulous hobby to pick up, however it can seem a little daunting if you have never done it before. Sewing machines can look complicated and foreign to the novice sewer, but there is no reason that you cannot teach yourself how to sew with a simple sewing machine. Sewing machines are pretty simple to set up, but before that, you need to buy yourself one.
What to Look for in a Beginning Sewing Machine
Before you spend your money on a sewing money, there are a few things you should consider first:
- If you happen to be just looking to partake in simple sewing projects, then there is really no need to spend more than £300 on a sewing machine.
- Look for models that have a selection of foot attachments; that way, you can learn many of the beginner skill that are necessary to move on like inserting a zip or sewing a button.
- Don’t let decorative stitches fool you; if you, like many otheres, are new to sewing, do not be fooled by machines that have a large number of stitches. You do not need that many to learn the basics.
Brother FS40 Electronic Sewing Machine
When you invest in a Brother sewing machine, you can be sure that you have invested in a sewing machine for life. If you are a beginner, however, you may be tempted to buy one of the fancier machines like the Brother FS210. A more advanced sewing machine does not guarantee better quality projects, though. If you are just starting out, it is better to start with something like the Brother FS40 electronic sewing machine.
Not only is the Brother FS40 sewing machine perfect for beginners, but it is exceptionally inexpensive as well. It includes 40 pre-programmed stitches, which is more than enough for even the most novice of sewers to get started. Once you hone your skills, there are still lots of stitches left over to experiment with as well. These 40 stitches include five buttonhole stitches, several stretch and elastic stitches, and 16 decorative stitches.This machine also includes a start/stop function, a needle up/down function, and 15 needle positions. These are all the basic features you need and more that you need to get started with sewing. The maximum stitch width is 4mm while the maximum stitch length is 7mm; this gives you a lot of options when it comes to stitch size. This is great for beginners because larger stitches are easier to sew.
While the Brother FS40 of course comes with a regular standard foot pedal for controlling the sewing speed, you can also control the speed directly on the body of this machine itself with the stop/start button and the speed slider. This feature is amazing for beginners, kids, and even those with limited mobility that struggle to use the foot pedal. In addition to this, you also have a lot more control over your sewing speed that you would if you were just using the foot pedal alone. This is useful if you want to work on tricky or elaborate sections of your project.
The Brother FS40 sewing machine comes with several other properites that include:
- A drop-in loading bobbin system- This drop-in system is a lot easier to use than traditional bobbin systems. It also includes a clean bobbin cover so that you can watch the bobbin as you sew.
- LCD screen- The LCD screen included on this specific sewing machine is small but still easy to read.
- Presser foot system- This sewing machine comes with a variety of presser feet including an all purpose foot, an overcasting foot, a button fitting foot, a buttonhole foot, and a monogramming foot.
- This particular sewing machine comes with an instructional DVD, which is the perfect companion if you are more of a visual learner.
- This particular sewing machine is very inexpensive for all of the features that it has, which makes is a great starter machine for beginners.
- This model of sewing machine does not come with an automatic needle threader, which is a bit disappointing for a modern sewing machine.
- A lot of the components of this machine are made of plastic, which may affect the long-term durability of it.
Like every other Brother sewing machine, the Brother FS40 sewing machine is very sleek looking and nicely designed. Because it is mostly made of plastic, it is lightweight and portable, which is especially nice if you need to store it away when you are not using it.
The Brother FS40 sewing machine provides fabulous value for money and is a perfect sewing machine for those looking to grow their skills. With its extensive range of stitches and pressure feet, you will always have something new to try with this amazing sewing machine.VIEW PRICE HERE!
Janome 219S Sewing Machine
Another fabulous sewing machine manufacturer, Janome is a reliable company that you can be sure will impress if you choose to invest in one of their sewing machines. The Janome 219S sewing machine is an extremely affordable, albeit simple sewing machine. Though it does not boast as many features the Janome Sewist 725S does, the Janome 219S is the perfect purchase for a novice sewer.
This particular sewing machine comes with 14 stitch selections; this may not seem like a lot of options compared to other sewing machines, however this selection covers all the basics and is more than enough for beginners. In addition to the 14 stitches, the Janome 219S also boasts a 4 step buttonhole, a darning plate for free hand embroidery, adjustable stitch length, and a free arm. These add-ons are necessary and totally useful:
- Free arm- The free arm is especially important if you plan on sewing tubular parts of garments like shirt sleeves, trouser legs, trousers, and cuffs.
- Adjustable length and width- Two dials on the Janome 219S sewing machine control the stitch length and width, making sewing much more versatile with this machine compared to similarly priced models from other manufacturers.
- Darning plate- Once you get the hang of this machine and want to express yourself with some freehand embroidery, the darning plate allows you to be fully in control of your projects.
- Users of this fabulous sewing machine have noted that the sewing machine itself is extremely easy to assemble and that the instructions are very simple to understand.
- The detachable storage box that comes with purchase of this model of sewing machine helpfully converts into a flat bed to extend your work space.
- This is a simple machine, so if you happen to get very good at sewing, this machine will not grow with your skill level. This is a beginner’s sewing machine through and through, so if you wish to tackle more elaborate projects in the future, you may have to purchase another sewing machine.
The Janome 219S comes with a quick-release foot holder. In order to use this feature, you only have to lift the foot lifter and press the release button. Then, the foot will detach from the larger machine. In order to attach another foot, you just have to line the desired foot up with the foot holder and lower the presser bar. This is super simple, which is perfect for beginner sewers. The Janome 219S is a great starter sewing machine, which is not only great for beginners, but can be used by children as well.VIEW PRICE HERE!
Brother AE1700 Sewing Machine
- A darning plate
- A set of needles
- Several spare bobbins
- A screw driving
- An instructional guide and DVD
- Reviewers have noted that the instructional manual and DVD are super easy to understand.
- Even though there is not a huge number of stitches included on this particular model, the basic stitches that you need are there along with several decorative ones that you can use once your sewing confidence has grown.
- There is no automatic needle threading function on the Brother AE1700, but users have commented that threading this machine is an easy enough task.
- Weighing in at 6.6kg, this particular sewing machine is not the lightest, so if you happen to be looking to take it places, then that is something to consider.
In addition to all of the features and accessories mentioned above, the Brother AE1700 comes with several presser feet to ensure that you will be able to get all of your personalized projects finished. The presser feet that come with the sewing machine are a zig-zag foot, a buttonhole foot, a zipper foot, and a button sewing foot. Whether you are a beginner or are wanting to teach someone else how to sew, this is the perfect machine for you.VIEW PRICE HERE!
Singer Simple 3232
Singer has been the leader in the sewing machine manufacturing industry for over 100 years, but with good reason. Singer sewing machines are reliable and built to last, so you can be sure that whichever sewing machine you purchase from them will be a sound investment. The Singer Simple 3232 sewing machine is awesome for beginners because of its simple design and ease of use. If you are a beginner and interested in a Singer sewing machine, you are better off going with the Singer Simple 3232 model compared to their other more sophistocated machines like the Singer 4411 or the Singer 1507.
The Singer Simple 3232 sewing machine is home to 32 built-in stitches, which is more than enough to get started. While you may not have every stitch available, you have enough to get started. You will have more than enough for basic sewing projects and if you happen to be a beginner, you will have a lot to get started with.
This model has a front-loading bobbin, which entails that you must remove the compartment at the front of this well-designed machine to open the door to access the bobbin. This bobbin is totally easy to use and even easier to thread, as the bobbin compartment is extremely easy to open and close.
One of the more advanced features that the Singer Simple 3232 sewing machine has is an automatic needle threader. To access the automatic needle threader, simply raise the needle to the highest position, press the lever, and pass your thread into the handy thread guide. After you complete these steps, just pass the thread in front of the needle are around the hook, then release the lever and pull the thread through the eye of the needle. Viola! Needle: threaded. This feature is great for anyone who has trouble threading needles, including those with limited mobility and children.
Like other Singer sewing machines, the frame of the Singer Simgle 3232 sewing machine is constructed from heavy-duty metal and is built to last. The high quality metal frame not only enhances its durability, but it also helps to protect against skips and jumps when sewing.
- Purchase of this great sewing machine also comes with a light so that you always have an illuminated work space. When you turn on the light, it shines straight onto the needle plate so that you can have a full view of your stitches.
- This model weighs in at just a little over 5.4kg, which means that it is super light and also portable. This is great if you plan to take your sewing machine to sewing classes.
- The Singer Simple 3232 is very affordable when compared to other sewing machines of similar abilities.
- Some users have complained that this specific sewing machine model is noisier compared to other models. While this does not affect the quality of the stitches produced with the sewing machine, it can grow irritating.
- This is a simple sewing machine, so there are a limited number of features included. Once your sewing skills grow and you want to take on more ambitious projects, you may have to purchase another sewing machine.
The Singer Simple 3232 is an incredibly reliable sewing machine that is perfect for beginner and novice sewers of all ages. You can trust that buying a sewing machine from Singer means that you will invest in quality, versatility, and portability.VIEW PRICE HERE!
Singer Model 1507
Another Singer model makes it onto our list because this company has produced top-rate sewing machines for over 100 years. The Singer Model 1507 sewing machine is a great entry-level machine that is great for learning and even teaching others. This simple model has eight stitches which includes a four-step button hole. Although this model of sewing machine does not have very many stitches, it definitely has all of the basics covered.
The Singer Model 1507 has an 85 watt motor, which is pretty powerful for a sewing machine of this size and price point. Although it is by no means a heavy-duty sewing machine, you will be able to sew through several layers of fabric with no issues at all.
In addition to several needles and bobbins that come with purchase of this machine, the Singer Model 1507 also comes with the following:
- Several feet, including an all purpose foot, a buttonhole foot, a zipper foot, and a button sewing foot.
- A seam ripper and seam guide
- A darning plate
- This particular model of sewing machine comes with adjustable stitch length and width, which gives you a lot of options to pursue your creativity with all of your creative projects.
- This particular sewing machine comes with an attached storage section to hold all of your extra needles, feet, and any other sewing accessories that you may have. It is also easy to remove and reattach.
- The limited stitch selection does not include any decorative stitches, which can be a bit disappointing if you want to create more elaborate projects once you grow your sewing skill set.
- There is no automatic needle threader on this model of sewing machine.
The Singer Model 1507 sewing machine is the perfect affordable sewing machine for novice sewers and those wishing to teach sewing to a beginner. It is lightweight and portable, which makes it very easy to bring back and forth to sewing classes. You will not find a more inexpensive machine that sews with the quality of the Singer Model 1507.VIEW PRICE HERE!
Brother is known for making reliable and high quality sewing machines, which is why the Brother LS14S makes our list of the best sewing machines for beginners. Since its release in 2011, this model has been one of the most popular sewing machines for beginners in the UK.
14 stitches are available on the Brother LS14S, which include a blind hem stitch, an elastic stitch, and a stretch blind hem stitch. The stitch lengths that are available on this machine are 1.6mm, 1.8mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, 3.0mm, and 4.0mm. The length of the reverse stitches is stuck at 2.0mm. This specific sewing machine boasts a top loading bobbin, which is a feature that is usually reserved for more advanced models. Having a top loading bobbin means that you can keep an eye on it at all times while you are sewing, which is a good feature if happen to be a beginner sewer.
- For being such an inexpensive sewing machine, the stitch quality that is achieved by this model is astounding.
- This model only weights about 6.2kg, making it easily portable, which is great if you need to take it to sewing classes or store it away after use.
- This particular model does not have the ability to control stitch and width; these can only be adjusted by choosing the stitches that already have preset values.
- The feed dogs on this particular model of sewing machine cannot be lowered so if you want to do any freehand stitching, you will need to buy a separate darning plate a presser foot.
The Brother LS14S is one of the easiest sewing machines to use on the market today. Although it is limited in special additional features, it has everything that you need to get started on your sewing journey.VIEW PRICE HERE!