Quilting with a Sewing Machine
Quilting is a fantastic hobby that can allow you to highlight your creativity via patterns of fabric. There are many ways to quilt, but one way that allows you to quilt quickly and efficiently is by using the help of a sewing machine. It is important when looking for a sewing machine, if you have quilting in mind, to purchase one that can specifically be used for quilting.
Since quilting requires that you stitch several layers of fabric together, there are specific needs that must be met when buying a sewing machine. Keep reading to find out what you should look for specifically when deciding which sewing machine you should buy for your quilting projects.
What to Look for in a Quilting Sewing Machine
- Motor Power- Since quilting requires you to sew several layers of fabric together (the top layer, the wadding or batting, and the backing), you need to find a sewing machine with a powerful motor.
- Ample working space- When working on a large project such as a quilt, you are going to want a wide enough area to work. Sewing machines that have extension tables are quite helpful, as they will let you move the quilt around more easily and give you more room to work.
- Stitch length- During the process of quilting, you will be doing a lot of tacking. Tacking is when you temporarily stitch layers of the quilt together in order to hold them in place before you actually sew them together. Make sure that the sewing machine that you purchase allows you to do long stitches, because the longer the stitches, the easier they are to remove.
These are just a few of the factors you must consider before pulling the trigger and investing in a reliable sewing machine to get your quilting done.
Best in Show
Brother FS100WT Free Motion Sewing Machine
Brother has been at the forefront of sewing machine manufacturing for years, so you can be sure that investing in a Brother sewing machine is a sound idea. This sewing machine is a mid-range computerized sewing machine that boasts a collection of 100 stitches that includes eight buttonholes and even one alphabet set that has a grand total of 55 characters (including numbers and letters). There are a ton of stitching choices to choose from and of course the machine includes all of the functional stitches you could ever need for whatever quilting project you happen to be working on.
This sewing machine is not only great for quilting, but you can also use it for dressmaking, home decor, and embroidery as well.
The design of the Brother FS100WT sewing machine matches that of other brother sewing machines, including the Brother FS210 Pro and the Brother AS40. It is quite small and compact, which is quite surprising because it packs such a punch with its powerful motor. This sewing machine feels sturdy and robust when you are using it. It weighs in at 7.5kg, which is relatively light compared to other comparable sewing machines, but it is still heavy enough to remain stationary on your workbench when in use. This particular machine is versatile and reliable, and should therefore last you for years and years to come.
In addition to being such a dependable machine, the Brother FS100WT also comes with several additional features that include:
- Eight presser feet- an all purpose foot, zipper foot, overcast stitch foot, monogramming foot, blind stitch foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, and a free motion embroidery and quilting foot.
- An LCD screen that is simple and easy to use; it is bright and displays all the helpful information you need so all of your projects are mistake-free.
- An extension table that allows you to spread out your work to make things easier for you. This is especially important if you are working on an extra large quilting project.
- A hard cover for extra protection when you are storing away your sewing machine.
- Most reviewers have raved that this sewing machine is extremely easy to use. Quilters of all skill levels, from beginners to experts, will be able to use this device to create beautiful works or art.
- An instructional DVD comes with purchase of this sewing machine, so even the visual learners out there can easily learn how to use the device.
- The drop-in bobbin has a clear plastic cover, which allows you to always see where your thread is.
- A few users have complained that the automatic threading feature is a bit fiddly, but once you master how to use it, you will be able to set it up very quickly.
- Some users have noted that the plastic body of this sewing machine is not as durable as others; the plastic body does not cut down on clunking and vibration.
In addition to all of the features that were discussed above, the Brother FS100WT also has a start/stop button and a speed control slider. Having these two features integrated into the machine itself means that you can adjust the sewing speed with them instead of using the foot pedal. This gives you much more control, especially on detailed quilting projects. For example, having these controls right at your fingertips allows you to slow down in especially tricky or detailed areas of your project. It is also great because decreasing the sewing speed is useful when teaching beginners, even kids!
The value for money you get from this sewing machine is great; it is a perfect machine for both beginners and experts alike. The FS100WT sewing machine is perfect for both quilting and free motion embroidery.It is relatively inexpensive compared to other machines of comparable quality and ability.VIEW PRICE HERE!
Sewing Machine 404
Though Frister and Rossman is a sewing machine manufacturing company that is not widely known throughout the UK, this German-founded institution has been making its mark since the early twentieth century. Their heavy-duty machines have been a mainstay in the field for years, and their devices are especially great for quilting projects.
This particular sewing machine is electronic and computerized that boasts an interactive LCD display screen which is small, but still displays all of the relevant information you need to finish up whatever project you are working on at the time. This feature is also helpful if you have made a mistake, because the machine will immediately be stopped and the screen will display a symbol to tell you what exactly you have done wrong. This is invaluable, especially is you are a new quilter! There is also a speed limiter that lets you control how fast or slow you are sewing, which is great for beginners as you can gradually speed up as your skills and confidence grow. Even if yo are not a beginner, this is a perfect feature for slowing down and working on more complicated or detailed sections of your quilting.
In addition to the helpful LCD screen display, there is also a stitch memory. This allows you to program your own personal selecting of stitching that can include number or letter sequences. Another nifty quality of this is that the machine will automatically stop once it reaches the end of the line you have programmed. These functions are all controlled electronically, so you are always in control with just the push of a button.
This sewing machine is great for beginner quilters and expert quilters, which means that you and anyone else in your family or household will be able to successfully make create beautiful art with it. In addition to the sewing machine itself, the 404 comes with a vast array of accessories that are worth an additional £150. These include:
- 13 complimentary feet: a walking foot, zig-zag foot, overlocker foot, buttonhole foot, button sewing foot, zipper foot, satin stitch foot, blind hem foot, straight stitch foot, narrow hemmer foot, cording foot, and a free hand embroidery foot.
- A quilting extension table
- Extra German-made needles, bobbins, five pairs of scissors, 24 cones of different colored threads, seam rippers, and needle threaders.
- This sewing machine has 20 stitches that are specifically designed for quilting, which provides incredible variety that allows you to personalize any of your projects.
- Frister and Rossman machines are extremely durable, so you can be sure that you will be using this sewing machine to quilt (and more) for years and years to come.
- The instruction booklet that comes with this sewing machine is translated roughly from English, so it is rife with spelling and grammatical mistakes.
- You cannot change the size of the lettering on this machine, which is a bit disappointing if that is a feature that you are looking for in particular.
The Sewing Machine 404 also has an automatic needle threader, which is extremely helpful if you have trouble threading needles. Needle threaders have a tendency to be fiddly and cumbersome, but not on this machine. There is a helpful lever that descends in order to help you do this, and a tiny grabber hand that pulls the thread through the eye of the needle. Threading the needle has never been easier, and you can do it all in just three simple steps. As an added bonus, this device comes with an extra spool pin that is slotted into place and allows two different threads to be pulled along at once with a twin needle. This is really neat as you can use two different threads in the same stitch, adding a cool personalized touch to whatever you are working on.
Though you may not seem like you need it, the needle up and down function on the 404 Sewing Machine is ridiculously useful. This helpful addition gets rid of the need to use the handwheel, which makes sewing so much quicker and less cumbersome. This button is used to set the needle up or down, whichever you need when you stop sewing. This allows you to move the fabric around or adjust it however you need to. Furthermore, this machine boasts a reverse button for back stitching, which is a vital tool on any good sewing machine.
The 404 Sewing Machine has a handy free arm, which is essential if you have any cylindrical elements if you projects. For example, you absolutely need a free arm for sewing collars, cuffs, sleeves, and trouser legs.VIEW PRICE HERE!
Best for Beginners
Singer Model 1507
Singer has been a huge name in manufacturing sewing machines since the middle nineteenth century and continues to be a leader in the industry today. Singer has celebrated many firsts in the industry, including making the first zig-zag machine, the first electronic sewing machine, and the first sewing assistant application for mobile phones and mobile devices. If you purchase a sewing machine from Singer, you can be sure that it will last you for many years to come.
The Singer Model 1507 is a great basic sewing machine that is perfect for simple sewing and quilting projects. Of course, more experienced craftsmen can use this sewing machine as well, but it is really intended for beginners who are looking to truly hone their still in quilting. This sewing machine is even great for kids, as it is so easy to use.
The Singer Model 1507 is quite limited in terms of stitches, as it has only eight including a four-step buttonhole. This may not seem like very many, but it covers all the basics and is really all you need for simple sewing projects. As was said above; this is a great first sewing machine and is especially great for kids and beginners alike. Although this machine is simple, it is mighty, and includes great features like:
- An 85 watt motor- This motor is extremely powerful for such a small sewing machine (comparable sewing machines usually have around a 50 watt motor). Having this powerful motor means that you will be able to easily sew through several layers of fabric, which makes it ideal for quilting. Just make sure that you are using the correct needle when sewing through so many layers at once.
- Adjustable stitch length and width- You can adjust the stitch length and width with the zig-zag stitch; that maximum width can be set all the way to 5mm, which is a pretty long distance, so this gives you a lot of options to work with. All you have to do to accomplish this is to turn the dial to the required stitch.
- Front loading bobbin- The front loading bobbin on this machine is easy enough to use, but it is a bit more fiddly than a top loading bobbin would be.
- Presser foot- This sewing machine comes with four presser feet: an all purpose foot, a buttonhole foot, a button sewing foot, and a zipper foot. These four basic presser feet are all you need to get going on your quilting journey. Once you master using these, then feel free to move onto more complicated presser feet.
- Users that have never used a sewing machine before have raved that this sewing machine is extremely easy to use and learn how to sew on.
- This particular model comes with a carry handle for easily portability and maneuverability. This is especially useful if you sew in a multi-purpose room and you need to store your sewing machine away after you use it.
- There is no automatic needle threader with the Singer Model 1507; however threading this machine is relatively easy because there are useful numbered guides printed onto the machine itself.
- Some reviewers have complained that the needles that come with this sewing machine are brittle and break easily.
The design of the Singer Model 1507 is quite attractive and much more stylish than other beginner sewing machines at the same price point. This sewing machine weighs in a 6kg, which is pretty light but also heavy enough to ensure that it will stay in place on your work surface when you are using it. The frame of this sewing machine is also made of heavy-duty metal, which provides rigid support to hold all the mechanisms on it in the perfect alignment. It also ensure that this sewing machine will last you and your family for years and years to come.
This sewing machine also comes with a host of accessories that includes a seam ripper, a seam guide, a darning plate, several needles and bobbins, small and large spool caps, a screwdriver, and a dust cover. The dust cover comes in handy when you want to put your sewing machine away and out of the way.
If you are a beginner, there is no better sewing machine to purchase than the Singer Model 1507. The powerful motor and adjustable feet allow you to sew several pieces of of fabric together at once, which makes it ideal for simple quilting projects.VIEW PRICE HERE!
Best for All Skill Levels
If you are looking to purchase a sewing machine for a wide variety of users that have different skill levels, then the Brother FS70WTS is the perfect pick for you. This powerful machine is also a must-have for quilting, as its powerful needle is able to pierce through several layers of fabric at once. This sewing machine is perfect for the advanced sewer, but also is easy enough to use that new sewers will not be intimidated by it.
The Brother FS70WTS comes with an automatic needle threader and drop-in bobbin. The automatic needle threader saves you valuable time by threading the needle for you, and the drop-in bobbin makes sure that the thread that you are sewing with does no jam in the machine. In addition to these two helpful features, there is also an included extension table and a free motion quilting foot. The extension table allows you to more comfortably work on bigger projects, lie large quilts or blankets. The free motion quilting foot is perfect for free hand quilting and embroidery. These are super great if you want to give your project a personal touch by adding something such as a monogram.
- Interchangeable feet- Several feet come with this sewing machine, including a zig-zag foot, a buttonhole foot, a zipper foot, a blind hem foot, an overcasting foot, a monogramming foot, and a foot control.
- DVD instructional guide- If you are a visual learner, then the DVD instructional guide that comes with this sewing machine is a must for you. It details how to set up the sewing machine and outlines several stitching methods that you can work with.
- This sewing machine comes with 70 stitch types, which means that the possibilities are endless when you are customizing your projects.
- This model is light and easy to use, which makes it simple to store away.
- This machine is extremely cheap when compared to comparable sewing machines of similar abilities.
- This sewing machine does not come with a case or a dust cover, so you will either have to make your own or purchase one.
The Brother FS70WTS comes with a handy start/stop button and speed control which means that you do not have to use to cumbersome foot control when you are ready to stop or start sewing. The control is at your fingertips, and the speed control can also be used as a speed limiter instead.
This sewing machine is able to do it all, and you will be especially pleased as it does great with quilting projects. Although it has 70 stitches, to choose from, do not let that intimidate you. This sewing machine is great for people of all skill-levels, which makes is a great purchase for households with children.VIEW PRICE HERE!
Singer 7470 Confidence Electronic Sewing Machine
It is in no way surprising that another Singer machine has made our list of best sewing machines for quilting. The Singer 7470 Confidence Electronic sewing machine is not only great for quilting, but it can accommodate sewers of all experience levels. This sewing machine is a great starter sewing machine for newbies looking to grow their skill set, but it comes with enough bells and whistles to keep an expert sewer entertained as well.
The stitch options for the Singer 7470 Confidence Electronic sewing machines are nearly endless. There are a total of 146 stitch options that include both basic and stretch stitches, as well as four types of one-step buttonholes, a number of decorative stitches, quilting stitches, an entire alphabet (with both upper and lower case), numbers, and punctuation symbols. The stitches that come with the machine have a pre-programmed size, width, and length, however these can be easily adjusted using the computer interface. The maximum stitch width goes up to 7mm, which allows for lots of flexibility and creativity when using this machine.
Personalizing your creations has never been easier, as the Singer 7470 Confidence Electronic sewing machine has a temporary memory for up to 20 characters. This means that you can program a series of stitches into the machine; for example, you could use this feature if you wanted to stitch something out in words. The sewing machine will save 20 characters and stitch them in the order that you input them into the computer. This nifty feature cuts down on easy mistake and lets you customize projects faster and more efficiently.
In addition to all of the great qualities discussed above that the Singer 7470 Confidence Electronic sewing machine has, it also comes with some vital accessories. These accessories include:
- Five snap-on presser feet (zig-zag foot, zipper foot, satin stitch food, blind hem foot, and buttonhole foot)
- Five needles
- One seam ripper and brush
- Four bobbins
- Three spool caps (mini, small, and large)
- Spool felts
- Dust cover
These accessories are great additions to an already fantastic sewing machine. The dust cover is especially handy if you need to store your sewing machine away when you are not using it. Extend your sewing machine’s life by taking care of it properly and always covering it with the dust cover when you are not using it.
- Since the presser feet can be held in an extra-high position, you can sew several layers of fabric together at once. Perfect for quilting!
- If you have made a mistake or the sewing machine itself is experiencing an error, there is an audible warning signal in addition to a visual on on the screen.
- Some reviewers have complained that since the body is made of plastic and not metal, the case is flimsy and gives way to vibration and clunking during use.
- A few users have noted that the alphabet function on this machine is not the best; it also only comes with one font.
The user-friendly attributes of the Singer 7470 Confidence Electronic sewing machine are numerous. This sewing machine has an automatic tacking stitch function, which allows you to tie off decorative stitches with just the press of one button. Using this function, the start and end of the decorative stitch are reinforced with four very small tacking stitches. This prevents unraveling and increases the quality of any project you use it on. You can also use the tacking stitch function on straight stitches as well.
This sewing machine is a great purchase and will make everyone in your home happy, from beginner quilters to experienced ones. This Singer sewing machines will serve you and your household for years and years to comeVIEW PRICE HERE!