Jaguar Overlocker – Is It Worth It In 2019 – 2020 ?
In this review we’ll be discussing and rating the Jaguar Overlocker sewing machine, which is a beautiful and well-built product with multicoloured accent parts. We’ve tested many sewing machines on our website and blog, as well as other sewing machines; so do check out our other posts. We asked our textiles professional, Jan, to give her own review at the end. Read on to learn more.
- Colourful: Yes, the colours on this sewing machine are beautiful, making it a lovely machine to keep in your home or sewing studio.
- Also a 3/4/ Thread Overlocker with differential feed.
- Latest Upgrade: From previous models, Jaguar Japan have improved this one with the addition of a handy, white LED light. This is far better than traditional bulbs which tend to have a yellow tinge, thus giving the appearance of discoloured thread. The new LED lamp allows you to have a precise and accurate image of your project while you work on it.
- Tensions: There are stand-out tensions for fine needle settings and lay-in tensions for easy looper-threading.
- Even Easier Threading: The machine is actually pre-threaded, which is great for getting hands-on immediately. In addition, the threading system is colour-coded for further ease of use. In addition, both front doors open making threading easily accessible.
- Feet Attachments: Simply clip the presser feet attachments on and off to suit your personal preference.
- Waste-Collection: For loose threads, messed up bits, furballs and more, there is a lint waste tray included with the purchase of your Jaguar 098 Overlocker Sewing Machine.
- Quick Change rolled Hem
- Integrated storage compartment: There is an integrated storage area for all your bits an bobs as well as an accessories bag. That’s handy!
- Dual-Feed: For stretchy, difficult-to-use material there is a dual feed feature.
- Adjustable Foot Pressure
- Detachable Blades
- Adjustable: There is both a cutting Width Dial as well as an adjustable stitch length from 1-5 mm.
- Warranty: For a secure purchase, there is a 12 month manufacturer’s warranty (return-to-base).
- Foot Pedal Control
- Stitch finger
- Needle set
- Machine cover
- Thread net
- Spool disk/holder/clap
- Accessories bag
- A clear instructions manual
Brand: Jaguar Japan
Color: White/ Multi
Dimensions / Size: 39cm x 37cm x 33cm
Product Weight: 9kg
Shipping Weight: 10kg
Maximum Stitch Speed: 1,300 stitches per minute
- Compact: Being compact is an advantage to almost everything, but this overlocker doesn’t have much space for you to work on larger projects, such as quilts and blankets. This can be a little disappointing, as often those types of products are mostly in need of neat hemming for finishing the product off. A wider table would be much handier on this product.
The Final Verdict:
We asked our sewing machine pro, Jan, to say a few words about the Jaguar 098 Overlocker. Having worked with various companies, both small and grand scale- Jan’s experience and expertise lies with both home sewing machines and industrial ones.
“I do love those colours! The product matches the image online exactly too, it’s nice and compact, which isn’t what I prefer but for beginners it is a great feature. It makes the product much better in terms of protability. As a customer, I would not buy this due to the small size. It is rather heavy too for such a compact size, and there isn’t much technicality with the actual machine either. There is a great manufacturers warranty there too, so that adds to the security of your purchase. It is not something I would keep at home, but for some users it can be perfect, yes. I like the easy access of all the parts on this machine. The built-in rolled hem is a great addition too. Overall, I would rate this a 6/10 to be as critical as possible. I am not personally much of a fan of the Jaguar sewing machine overlocker- not something I would add to my cart.“
Appearance: 8 / 10
Functionality: 8 / 10
Value for Money: 7 / 10
- Jaguar Starter 098 Overlocker - 3/4/ Thread Overlocker, with Differential Feed.
- Built-in light upgrade, 2019: This product has now been upgraded from a 'Jaguar Starter 096 Overlocker' to a 'Jaguar Starter 098 Overlocker', which now includes an LED lamp.
- The Jaguar Overlockers are a favourite amongst sewers, easily producing professional finish; far beyond the capabilities of a regular sewing machine. Both front doors open, making threading easily accessible. For threading, no special tools or tweezers are needed.
- Stand-out tensions for fine needle setting. Lay-in tensions with tension release for easy looper threading. Colour-coded for easy threading. Clip-on feet. Unique swing away cutter. Japanese technology. Includes lint waste tray. Quick change rolled hem. Integrated storage compartment. Dual feed for difficult or stretchy material.
- Adjustable foot pressure. Pre-threaded. Up to 1,300 stitches per minute. Detachable blades. Cutting width dial. 1-5mm adjustable stitch length. Accessories include: Stitch finger, needle set, brush, screwdriver, machine cover, spanner, oiler, tweezers, thread net, spool disk/holder/clap, accessories bag, foot control and a clear instructions manual. Return-to-base 12 months warranty.