Brother FS100WT Sewing Machine Review 2020 – 2021
Today we're testing out the Brother FS100WT Sewing machine, which is a product of a brand renowned for producing great quality appliances for the home. The simplistic design features a gorgeous, duty blue accent hue which we fell in love with. Read on to find out more about this product!
Brother FS100WT Free Motion Embroidery/Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 100 Stitches! You honestly do get what you pay for with the Brother FS100WT: it has all the basic functional stitches standard for a machine, as well as a good number of decorative and satin stitches. There's one alphabet style which is great for new users who are progressing and improving, as they can play around with it. We suggest you try this feature out by embroidering letters- this function makes the task super easy. There are 55 characters (including letters and numbers) to choose from, but only in uppercase. The only downside to this is that the letters are small and there is no option to alter their size. Brother have made this machine perfect for practise and small projects, but for more complex projects or those of you who use letter work often, this may not be the best choice. There are other machines we have reviewed which have this functionality, so check out our reviews for more!
- Electronic Duo-Machine: The Brother FS100WT is a two in one bespoke computerised machine packed with features, which can both stitch and quilt, making it very versatile and suitable for a wide range of projects. The feet attachments allow you to complete a number of projects on the Brother FS100WT.
- Innovative and Versatile: All the features packed into this one product make it the perfect choice for making clothes, furnishings, embroidery work, quilting and much more. This machine is ideal for a range of users, from beginners to even the most advanced of users. We recommend the alphabet stitch type to add a signature to your work.
- Quick and Easy threading: This product features a quick system for dropping the bobbin and feeder. In addition, there is a handy needle threader to assist you with the pesky, tedious task of threading needles. Another great feature is that there is an automatic bobbin winder, which saves a hell of a lot of time in the long run!
- Speed Limiting Capabilities: One of the features with the Brother FS100WT is that there is a start / stop button control which helps with speed control, which some beginners claim helps them familiarise themselves with the machine. This feature also means you don't have to worry about always using the pedals, if you choose.
- Fast Usage: The stitch selection, as well as length and width adjustment on the FS100WT is as simple as a quick touch. The automatic selection feature makes this task even easier.
- Embroider's Best Friend! The Brother FS100WT comes boxed up with an extra-wide table and a free-motion foot especially for embroidery. There is a handy smooth motion embroidery quilting foot with this machine purchase, which will set you up to save a load of cash trying to buy bespoke, specialised feet for this job. Embroider's need to have special embroidery feet, and for quilters- well, quilting feet are no less than essential. You're all good to go with the Brother FS100WT.
- Reverse Motion: To help secure your stitching, Brother feature a reverse stitch function with the FS100WT. Simple shift to reverse at the end of your stitching line to seal down your work.
- Clear View: One of the features we love is that there is a very handy white LED light which beams down on your work, which, while minor, is still a plus feature because one annoying thing about some machines is that yellow flash from traditional bulbs which discolours the threads.
- Wide Table
- 3 Year Warranty: One thing we'd like to add is the warranty- everyone loves secure purchases! Brother sewing machines often are accompanied with warranties. This machine comes with a manufacturer's warranty, from Brother, of 3 years.
- Instructions Included: Alongside this host of great features, the Brother FS100WT comes with a DVD instruction video that shows all aspects of the machine - perfect if you're a beginner.
There is a great deal included when you purchase this Brother FS100WT sewing machine, which we absolutely loved. It has little bits and bobs which are just a really neat addition to the machine, such as the cleaning brush. Standard accessories include:
- 7 Feet Type Options (foot: zigzag, foot: overcast, foot: monogramming, foot: blind stitch, foot: buttonholes, foot: zipper, foot: free motion embroidery / quilting foot)
- Seam ripper
- Twin needle
- Extra Spool Pin
- Cleaning Brush
- Set of Needles
- Spare Bobbins
- Screw Driver Disc
- Foot Control pedal
- Wide table
- Dust cover
- Instruction guide & instructional DVD
You may need to get a needle threader separately.
Model Number: FS100WTZU1 (FS100WT for short)
Item Dimensions: 51.5cm x 32.2cm x 45.6cm
Item Weight: 7.5kg
Shipping Weight: 8.5kg
Brother FS100WT Free Motion Embroidery/Sewing and Quilting Machine
IMPORTANT NOTE: Only a plastic bobbin should be used in this machine, please. Take a look in store with a local retailer or textiles shop. The use of a metal bobbin will affect stitch quality and in some cases could damage the machine and invalidate the warranty. A good bobbin as well as other handy sewing products can also be found on Amazon, a popular choice for quick and relevant, helpful deliveries.
- Lack of Flexibility with Alphabet Stitches: While we absolutely love the fact that you can sew letters with this machine, it's a real crying shame that the Brother FS100WT is so limited in terms of flexibility about them! It would be great if we could change the case or size of the letters, imagine making your own hoodie with huge letters of your initials? That would be a bespoke product! Sadly, this sewing machine cannot do that, which is a real shame. For the price range, it would've been nice if they'd modified this a bit.
The Final Verdict
We asked our sewing machine pro, Jan, to say a few words about the Brother FS100WT. Jan has worked with various companies, both small and grand scale- her experience and expertise lies with both home sewing machines and industrial ones.
" I've had a lot of experience using Brother machines myself, and this one matches them in quality, even by mere appearance. The alphabet stitching is my favourite thing about this model actually, I love how that would simplify my tasks. There is a great range of accessories included with this purchase too. The overall feel of the sewing machine is very luxurious, expensive and sturdy- it's a nice sewing experience. I can tell that this will last the test of time, like other trusted Brother machines. On the flip side, it isn't as heavy as I'd have expected, making a fairly portable option too. I would rate this a good 8/10., for the price you pay, it should be and is great! There are better brother models for users of my advanced level, which is why this didn't get a 9 from me."
Appearance: 9 / 10
Functionality: 8 / 10
Value for Money: 8.5 / 10
If you have any further questions on anything, please ask!
- 100 Stitch Electronic Sewing Machine with Needle Threader and 1 lettering style
- Quick Set Drop in Bobbin and Drop Feed Mechanism
- Start/ Stop button and speed control which also enables speed limiting
- Quick touch stitch selection and length & width adjustment
- Comes packaged with an extra wide table, and a free motion embroidery foot. Perfect for all your free motion embroidery!