Sewing as a Beginner
Sewing as a beginner can be a daunting task, but there is no reason that you cannot teach yourself how to sew with the right sewing machine. With so many sewing machine models out there, it can be difficult to choose which one to buy. If you are interested in a mechanical sewing machine, which is suggested for beginner use, you will not need to spend more than £150. There are a couple of items to consider before purchasing your sewing machine, however, in order to make sure you make the best decision for yourself and your sewing needs.
What to Look for In a Sewing Machine
- Lightweight– If you plan on taking your new sewing machine back and forth to sewing classes, then it is definitely important that you buy a lightweight model that will be easy to carry. If it has a carrying handle, this is an added bonus.
- Stitches– If you are interested in dressmaking or making other garments, then you probably do not need a whole lot of decorative stitch options.
- Garment making– If you plan on learning how to make a lot of different clothes, you may want to invest in an overlocker sewing machine which lets you sew hems and can keep your projects from fraying.
Once you have considered all of these aspects of sewing, you are ready to purchase your first sewing machine! Consider a Singer model, perhaps the Singer 1409 15 points sewing machine.VIEW PRICE HERE!
Singer 1409 15 Points Sewing Machine
Singer sewing machines are built to last; there is a reason that when most people think of sewing machines, the name ‘Singer’ immediately comes to mind. Singer has been a leader in the sewing machine manufacturing industry ever since 1851. Singer has been the proprietor of many firsts in this industry, including the design of the world’s first zig-zag machine, the first electronic sewing machines, and even the first sewing machine assistant application for smartphones and other mobile devices. For all of these reasons, the Singer 1409 15 points sewing machine is a solid investment that is perfect for even the most novice of sewers.
The Singer 1409 15 points sewing machine includes nine stitch options including six utility stitches, two decorative stitches, and one useful four-step buttonhole. This may not seem like a lot of choice, but if you are just learning to sew, these are more than enough options. The stitch width and length can also be adjusted on this sewing machine; the maximum stitch size is 5mm, which is perfectly acceptable for a budget sewing machine for beginners. The maximum speed of this sewing machine is 750 stitches per minute, which is not the fastest out there but it is definitely fast enough for beginner and intermediate sewers.
The bobbin on this machine is front loading, which is easy enough to use. There are four presser feet that come with the Singer 1409 15 point sewing machine that include a buttonhole foot, an all purpose foot, a zipper foot, and a button sewing foot. You are able to adjust the pressure on the presser foot by turning a dial on the top of the machine, which gives you must more control when working with thick fabrics like leather or think fabrics like satin.
Purchase of the Singer 1409 15 point sewing machine also comes with several sewing accessories to aid you on your sewing journey. These accessories include:
- Four bobbins
- Several extra needles
- A helpful quilting guide
- A darning plate
- A lint brush and seam ripper
- An oil dispenser
- One screwdriver
- The design of this machine is very sleek and will match whatever decor happens to be in your sewing room.
- The reverse button that is included on this model sewing machine is perfect for reinforcing the beginning and ends of your sewing. This ensures lasting durability of your projects.
- Some users have complained that the front loading bobbins are a bit difficult to wind up
- There is no automatic needle threader included on this sewing machine, which is a bit disappointing if you have trouble setting up sewing machines or threading needles yourself.
The stitch quality that is produced by this machine leaves something to be desired. It is acceptable, there is no doubt about that, however the individual stitches are not very well defined. Regardless of what you set the tension setting to, the straight and utility stitches appear to look like one straight line instead of having any clear stitch separation. Even though the stitches are both strong and tight enough, the stitch definition is not very clear. This sewing machine is still handy and a good choice for beginners, however if you are looking for something that gives a more professional finish, perhaps consider another sewing machine like the Singer Confidence 7465.VIEW PRICE HERE!
Though the stitch definition is not the greatest with this machine, this particular model is great for beginners just learning how to sew or for teaching children how to sew.