Brother LS14S Metal Chassis Sewing Machine
Sewing Machine for beginners with Instructional DVD
Uten Computerised Digital Sewing Machine
Stainless Steel, Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene
43.9 x 18.9 x 36 cm
34 x 14 x 27.5 cm
51.6 x 35.2 x 22 cm
Short On Time?
Our Recommended Best Sewing Machine For Beginners Is The Brother LS14S Metal Chassis Sewing Machine!
- 14 Stitch metal chassis sewing machine
- Drop in bobbin
- LED bulb
- 4 step button hole
- 3 year manufacturer warranty
Sewing is both a rewarding and enjoyable activity to do, however, a good machine can really make all the difference in your experience. While extra features and lighting are jazzy and add that extra touch of luxury, they can be impractical as many machines compensate for lower quality, using these features.
This article has some expert advice to provide you with extra ease during your sewing projects at an excellent price (or at least something which fits into your budget price range). Follow our independent advice for the top three sewing machines in the UK for 2021!
1) Brother LS14S Metal Chassis Sewing Machine
Our top pick in this guide is the Brother LS14S, which comes as a reasonable price with the standard quality build. Brother machines are renowned for their quality... and their hefty price tag. This option is highly affordable, offers you a generous range of features and additions to help you get your money's worth- while also ensuring that the product is of a high quality.
Read on below to see what makes this item so special.
What We Love
- 14 Range of Stitches! Despite being a budget and compact machine, the Brother LS14S provides you with fourteen different stitch options to choose from including simple stitches (utility, for example), basic stitches for borders, decorative stitches, a straight stitch, and a few zag stitch designs. Additionally, the LS14S has an excellent stitch quality, which isn't unexpected for this renowned brand's variety of machines
- Compact Size: This sturdy machine is both affordable and compact, making it an excellent travel machine option, weighing around 5 kilograms at most. This is very lightweight for starter sewing machines like this- making it pretty much a perfect starter sewing machine
- Variety of Attachments: This sewing machine features three different presser feet, including a zipper foot, a buttonhole foot, and a zig-zag foot (located directly on the machine), alongside a traditional manual foot pedal. In addition, this mini machine comes with a generous set of needles to equip you for all projects, three bobbins, and a screwdriver (disc-shaped)
- Instructional DVD: To make this basic sewing machine versatile and an easy machine to master and make the most out of, Brother have included a guidance DVD. This DVD is informative enough to guide you on how to access the stitch settings, potential stitch speed, bobbin reel, electronic controls, speed control function, needle positions, and more!
- Easy to Use: The stitch choices can be easily selected to change between stitch patterns using a jog dial. Additionally, there is a drop-in bobbin system that is designed to not jam up, as well as featuring a clear cover to allow you to monitor the quantity of thread remaining- which is a great feature for a machine in this price bracket
This basic machine makes for an ideal beginner machine, thanks to the compact build (making it suitable for smaller, non-commercial projects). Additionally, we love how affordable it is to purchase a high quality machine from a renowned, top-quality brand like Brother, making these great machines for beginners.
As this machine is compact and light, we do not recommend its use for thicker fabrics (lightweight fabrics are easier to handle and manoeuvre). These cheap sewing machines are less suitable for challenging projects, so we recommend it if you're new to stitching/would like a portable option.
Here's some of the key features:
- Drop-in bobbin system (plastic bobbins compatible)
- Compact design makes for an excellent starter machine
- Beginner-friendly price point
- 3 presser feet options and a foot pedal
This machine isn't ideal to use with tricky fabrics such as leather or organza, and may act up when faced with layers of fabric that may build up the thickness.
Brother LS14S Metal Chassis Sewing Machine
2) Uten 2200 Computerised Digital Sewing Machine
Next on our list is the model 2200 by Uten, which is the most expensive machine on this list- however, if you're interested in investing a large amount of money into your next sewing machine, then we absolutely recommend this one.
We've spoken about Uten products quite a lot on this site- they're a growing brand with excellent products that garner hundreds of excellent reviews. This one as a solid 300+ 4.5 star reviews on Amazon alone, which is pretty much the same we'd rate it after using it.
Read on to learn more about this heavy-duty sewing machine.
What We Love
- Decorative Machine Stitching: This versatile garment sewing machine features a generous 60 different stitch types and other integrated features. There are both decorative and utility stitches included within this number, allowing you to make use of free-motion embroidery and other distinguished project creation. This starter machine is all you need
- Stitching Clarity: While using this machine, you can access the LED light which allows you to view your project with maximum clarity. Additionally, there is a bright integrated LCD display screen which allows you to easily navigate all the machine options for maximum user friendliness. The screen allows you to access all the settings and stitch types with a few touches.
- Ease of Use: We love how easily-navigated this sewing machine is thanks to the handy controls that Uten have included. There is a stitch speed slider control which allows you to set the pace of the sewing, up to a maximum stitch speed. Additionally, this machine makes your life even easier thanks to the integrated needle threader, which is arguably the most frustrating part of sewing!
- Extra Features: In addition, you get a four-step buttonhole and a reverse stitch button control to help maximise the functionality of the machine. We also love the addition of a stop/start button, as it helps shorten the time taken to complete projects. Finally, you get a rotary button dial to help select the stitch width.
- Multi-functionality: This sewing machine allows you to personalise the stitch width and length, which is a great way to help you personalise your sewing projects. There is also a free arm located on the sewing machine, which can be accessed by removing the storage compartment. This feature allows you to easily access collars, cuffs, and hems- as well as other areas which are hard to reach.
- Loads of Attachments: This sewing machine provides as great breadth as possible in terms of variety. You get four different feet types including a zigzag foot, a hem-guide foot, a buttonhole foot, and a zipper foot. You also get a twin-needle, a whole needle set, a bespoke screwdriver, an extra spool pin, and a brush/ripper pin included.
- Free Sewing: You can create perfect, beautiful works of embroidery using this machine and the feed-dog system. There's a handy front-loading bobbin case which doesn't require awkward hoop removal while you're in the middle of your project!
Our professionals tested this sewing machine on various fabrics including silk, organza, cotton, PVC, and jacquard. This machine didn't perform well on the leather, however, it works well with silky, fiddly fabrics such as organza! This machine is available online for around £180. We preferred to purchase ours off of Amazon as it was around £20 cheaper, with fast free delivery.
Here's some of the key features about this machine:
- LED light for working space
- LCD Display (stitch selection and options control)
- Integrated needle threader
- Stitch width rotary button
- Stitch width and length selector
- 4 feet types: zigzag, zipper, buttonhole, and hem-guide
- Needle set and twin needle included
- Included: screwdriver, extra spool pin, and a brush/ripper
- Front loading bobbin case
Uten Computerised Digital Sewing Machine Embroidery Quilting Function Machine 60 Stitches for Beginners Model 2200
3) MEGLE FHSM-618 Beginner Sewing Machine
Last on our list we've got the FHSM-618 by MEGLE. This sewing machine is designed and optimised for beginners, and we can absolutely agree on the build and functionality being great for a beginner in the realm of sewing.
This sewing machine is highly affordable despite being a high-quality option, as well as featuring a solid metal chassis and build. Read on to see more about this sewing machine.
What We Love
- Wide Variety of Features: This sewing machine features a generous twenty different stitch designs to choose from, including both decorative and utility. These stitches include the following staple stitches: decorative, zigzag, blind hem, and stretch.
- Modification Features: You can also modify the tension of the upper thread to help you achieve different looks, such as pleats. Additionally, you get five different presser feet options including a quilting foot, an invisible zipper foot, a buttonhole foot, an overlocking foot, and a quilting foot. You also get two different needle types, including a 75/11# and a 90/14#
- Advanced Functionality: As a beginner, you'll be able to play around with every possible feature in sewing! You get to try out features including adjustable stitch length and width, hand-switch, a foot pedal, an LED light, a hidden drawer compartment, a thread cutter, sleeve sewer, and thread rewind system, normal and reverse stitching, double thread, as well as speed selection
- Guidance: This sewing machine comes with a guidance manual and a helpful video to help you make the most out of your product. The video was great in teaching you how to master the usage of this machine, to help you create amazing projects
- Additional features: In addition to all of the above, you get eighteen bobbins with a metal bottom, 18 upper bobbins, a measuring tape included, a seam ripper, two needle threaders, and a thimble made of metal. That's a total of 45 base accessories and eight bonus ones.
This sewing machine is indubitably one of the best in terms of value for money, after the Uten one we discussed before. It comes at around £85 online, however, we highly recommend purchasing it on Amazon due to the price- you can grab it for about £79 with free shipping.
Here's some of the key features:
- 45 base accessories and eight additional accessories including: seam ripper; two needle threaders; 18 upper bobbins; a metal thimble; a measuring tape; and 18 metal bottom bobbins
- Hidden drawer compartment
- Normal and reverse stitching
- Two needle types: a 75/11# and a 90/14#
Sewing Machine for beginners with Instructional DVD, 53 PCS Accessories, 20 Build-in Stitches, MEGLE FHSM-618.
4) DONYER POWER Mini Electric Sewing Machine
Fourth on our list is the DONYER POWER Mini Portable electric sewing machine. Not only is this the perfect machine to keep in your home in terms of size, it looks great! The pastel colour theme is enough to make anyone smile- and despite the pleasing aesthetics, this machine is packed with durability, feature-richness, and quality.
Let's see what it's all about!
What We Love
- Affordable Price: Wherever you choose to buy this sewing machine off of, you'll find the price to be under £80. This is great for a DONYER product, especially the POWER range. We recommend looking on Amazon, as they usually have the best deals on this particular sewing machine.
- 12 Stitch Designs: As this is designed to be a portable, travel-friendly sewing machine, there are some features which had to be sacrificed. You get twelve stitch designs with this one, including utility and decorative. While this is far less than many on the market, you get all the required stitches needed to complete a variety of subjects.
- Dual-Speed Functionality: This sewing machine comes with two different speed options- high, or low. There's an integrated foot pedal or hand switch which is great for beginners who are trying to complete complex projects and larger work.
- Ease Functions: To make your sewing experience more pleasant, this sewing machine features an integrated needle threader, a free arm for hems, stitch length and width adjustability, and an on-board/built-in accessory compartment/storage.
- Purchase Security: You get a one-year warranty with this product should anything go wrong. This is great in the case of needles getting stuck, or functions not working properly.
DONYER POWER Electric Sewing Machine Mini Portable with 12 Built-in Stitches, 2 Speeds Double Thread, Embroidery,Foot Pedal
5) Singer 1306 Start Sewing Machine
The Singer 1306 is the last mention on our guide, and it's no less excellent as a beginner sewing machine. Like the DONYER POWER option we discussed above, the Singer 1306 is portable, storable sewing machine for you to take to sewing classes or abroad to practise your trade.
Below we've outlined the key points about this machine.
What We Love
- 6 Stitches: This is a small, compact, portable machine- so you'll usually find less stitch designs to utilise. However, for a beginner, the stitches provided are more than sufficient. These include some of the most popular stitches, such as four basic stitches, one automatic four-step buttonhole stitch, and one decorative stitches. You can perform various different actions on your projects including securing edges, creating sleeves, and even embroidery. You also get a blind hem stitch, a zigzag stitch, stretch stitch types, and an upper thread tension adjuster.
- Free Arm: This sewing machine uses a handy free arm function for you to sew various parts of your projects such as hems. Free arms are not common in beginner sewing machines, let alone portable ones! So if you're interested in giving free arm functionality a go, we definitely recommend this machine.
- Included Accessories: You get three different feet options including an all-purpose foot, a buttonhole foot, and a zipper foot. You also get a set of needles, bobbins, and a needle-plate screwdriver. You get a set of handy spool-pin felts, a soft-sided dust cover, a lint brush/seam ripper, and a darning plate- all with this beginner sewing machine. It's great value and perfect to last you a good few years of practice as a beginner, to help you develop all kinds of sewing skills.
Singer 1306 Start Sewing Machine, White, 35 x 18 x 29 cm