Short On Time?
Our Recommended Dressmaking Sewing Scissor For Cutting Fabric Is The Prym - Classic Tailor's Scissors!
Prym Tailor's Scissors Classic 21cm, Black
- Tailor's scissors for professional Dressmakers and tailors
- Forged from high quality steel
- Large eye makes for ease of control of the scissors
- No lifting or shifting of the fabric
- Re-adjustable blade angle
Whether you're a professional at sewing or you're indulging in a home-made hobby, you may have come across the prospects of creating your own apparel. This particular article is all about dressmaking, and which sewing scissors on the market will make cutting fabrics a breeze.
These scissors have been tried and tested by our professional team. We're looking for the one that simply glides like butter through your fabrics, which ones feel comfortable to hold, and which ones fit in any sewing box. All of our picks will be judged chronologically, starting from the best.
Stay till the end though- there's something for every individual in this guide.
The Best Fabric Scissors: What's the Criteria?
While scissors seem like a modest thing that can be easily replaced by a cheap item, this isn't further away from the truth as possible. Embroidery scissors/professional sewing scissors are designed to suit different tailors' needs. They're designed to be durable, offer smooth and easy cutting, while being comfortable to use (as many are made of metal in the market right now).
Here's what you should take into account (and what we've judged the products in this guide by):
1) Prym - Classic Tailor's Scissors
When you see the price of some of these scissors, you may wonder- that's pretty darn expensive for a single pair of sewing scissors. The reason why is because tailor's scissors are specially crafted for the specific task of cutting through fabrics. Fabrics are nothing like paper- they cannot be cut through so easily. Paper scissors won't even be able to cut through the finest silk (unless they're high-quality/luxury paper scissors).
This pair of sewing scissors by Prym are even available in six different lengths to suit every individual tailors' unique needs. The build quality of this pair of scissors is something that can be felt just by touching/holding it, so you definitely get what you pay for.
Below is an overview about this product.
What We Love
- Ideal Sewing Scissors: Not only do they look like the embodiment of the perfect pair of tailors scissors, they work as good as they look. They feature a rubberised, grip handle with a shiny surface to help provide you with greater dexterity control.
- Steel Blades: The blades of this humble sewing scissor are made of alloy steel, which is essentially a further-hardened mixture of steel and other metals. This makes these scissors extremely durable and will last you a lifetime- as if steel wasn't hard enough on its own! Alloys aren't as bad as they sound though- they're designed to be durable. Ever wonder why some gold is 24-karat and some is 18-karat? Because 18-karat is less pure; it has other metals mixed into it to make it harder. That's why you'll notice 24K gold is much more malleable (bendy)- it's pure! It isn't an alloy.
- Large Eyes: Yes, the gaping holes you put your fingers through are called the eyes, and this pair of professional sewing scissors feature very large eyes, making it perfect for all tailors and allow for a much more stress-free sewing experience.
- No Shift or Lift: These professional sewing scissors will cut straight through the fabric that enters the blades. No ifs or buts. The fabric will not lift or shift when it comes into contact with the two adjacent blades- the sharpened edges are highly efficient at slicing straight through ever minute fibre of the fabric.
- High-quality, Professional Standard: Prym are specialists in professional sewing supplies, hence this pair of professional sewing scissors is especially designed for commercial and professional use.
These scissors cost around £50 online, but Amazon had the best deal available at around £45 with free Prime delivery. Here's a quick summary:
- Large eyes; ergonomic design
- Professional standard product
- No fabric shifting and lifting
- Rubberised, ergonomic handles
The only downside we could mention to this pair of scissors is that the excellent quality comes at a cost of comfort. They can be heavy to hold, despite the attempt to provide extra comfort with a rubberised, friction-grip handle. For maximum comfort, we would've preferred padding for comfort, and a slightly thicker rubber sheath.
CHECK CURRENT PRICE
2) BIHRTC Heavy Duty Multi-Purpose Fabric Scissors
Second on this guide is the heavy-duty multi-purpose scissor pair from BIHRTC. This item is designed with comfort in mind, and offers quality steel products in two different lengths. You can purchase either a 25.40-centimetre blade length or an 11-inch one.
We love the monotone black colour and matte surface effect, so not only are these scissors high-quality and functional- they also look great. They come slightly cheaper than the Prym tailors' scissors too.
What We Love
- Stainless Steel Shears: This popular model features tempered steel blades which have been crafted from solid carbon-steel. This material makes cutting thread, seam trimming, and generally cutting sections of material far easier and smoother. They also improve the overall durability, and lifespan, of the product. The blades are coated with a humectant, lubrication oil to preserve the lifespan further. The oil should be wiped out at your first time use.
- Multi-functional: These specialist tools not only come at a reasonable price, they offer a host of functions. You can use these cutting tools for: cutting fabric for quilting; cloning dress measurements; as a thread snipper; stencilling out dress patterns, and making alterations. They're for sewing, crafting, dressmaking, tailoring, embroidery, quilting, and general art projects.
- Value for Money: When you buy this product, you actually get a solid 10-Inch scissor, a smaller pair of 4.5-inch scissors, a similarly-sized 4.6-inch U-shaped pair of scissors, and a classy box. This makes it a perfect gift for anyone.
These scissors cost around £40 online and in hobby stores, but Amazon had the best deal available at around £33 with free Prime delivery. Here's a quick summary:
- Stainless carbon-steel blades
- Large eye for fingers and smaller eye for a secure thumb position
- 10-inch scissor, 4.5-inch scissor, and 4.6-inch U-shaped scissor included
- Rubberised, ergonomic handles for grip and comfort
While the actual scissors were great, we found that the smaller pairs accompanied weren't as high-quality. We found them to be less sharp than the main tailor scissors, however, they're great for quick and minor travel alterations/thread cutting.
CHECK CURRENT PRICE
3) Kai 7150 Embroidery/Sewing Scissors
Next up on this list we've got the Kai 7150 scissors which are designed to excel in embroidery and sewing-related tasks. These are slightly different from the other scissors on this guide, due to the fact that they have a much smaller blade length.
The sharpness of the stainless steel blades, however, is unmatched- if you're looking for a fast cutting process and a pair of scissors that can pretty much slice through anything, then these are the ones you need.
What We Love
- Razor Sharp: The standout feature about these pairs of sewing scissors is that it is extremely sharp. You can see a noticeable difference in the way these scissors perform in comparison to others. We love the use of these scissors with silk, as they have a tendency to glide through the fabric pretty much like water!
- Thick Blades: While the stainless steel blades of these professional sewing scissors aren't long, they are thick, making them excellent for cutting through many layers of fabric and tougher fabrics. Length is more important in terms of cutting speed, however, a thicker set of blades is more efficient for a wider range of fabrics
- AUS8 A Steel: These Kai scissors use AUS8 A steel, a popular Japanese mid-range performance steel. The material is compromised of a carbon, vanadium, and molybdenum. This makes it a top-quality choice for food machinery, medical equipment, knives, and scissors. This Japanese-made scissor option is a great choice for your sewing collection.
- Ideal for All Scissor Collections: Whether you already have a larger sewing scissor and would like to purchase a high-quality but smaller option, or if you're looking for a travel/portable pair, these scissors will fit your needs and last you a lifetime.
These are no ordinary scissors, and they most certainly aren't a pair of kitchen scissors either- since they are crafted with Japanese AUS8-A steel. Despite this, this is a fairly lightweight scissor, and features smaller but sharper scissor blades. Make sure you're well-versed with cutting fabrics before attempting to use these pairs of scissors.
Here's a quick overview:
- Short blades rather than long
They're available on Amazon for about £47, which is a great price for this quality pair of scissors.
CHECK CURRENT PRICE
4) SMITH CHU Fabric Scissors
Fourth on our list sits the SMITH CHU Fabric scissors, which are perhaps the most traditional idea of tailors' scissors, with a silver sheath and a long, heavy, sturdy build. Here's what you need to know about these sewing machine scissors.
What We Love:
- Premium Build: These high-quality scissors are expensive mainly due to the excellent material used to craft them. They're made of solid carbon-steel, which is a stronger version than steel. They can also remain stable, and stays sharper for longer than normal stainless steel.
- Ergonomic: These scissors feature a rubberised handle finish to protect your hands when using these scissors for longer periods of time. They also help relieve stress and provide an even more comfortable sewing experience.
- Durable: These scissors have razor-sharp edges which remain sharp even after years of intense usage. The angled bend in the handle allows you to remain flat on any surface for easier, more accurate cutting.
These scissors are available online for about £32, and we purchased ours from here. These are slightly heavy in comparison to others, so bear this in mind if you're after a lightweight option.
CHECK CURRENT PRICE
5) gingher - 01005284 Steel Micro-Serrated Edge Dressmaker Shears
These are a highly-rated product option on Amazon, with hundreds of five-star reviews. This pair of scissors by gingher easily make their way onto our top-five, with a sturdy alloy-steel body and lengthy eight-inch blades.
Here's what you need to know about them.
What We Love
- USA-Made: These imported serrated sewing scissors have been crafted by kitchen and home-ware specialists in America. They're made of a high-quality and sturdy steel body, crafted from an alloy we mentioned earlier in the article.
- Micro-Serrated Edges: These scissors feature innovative, effective micro-serrated edges which are designed to grip the fabric/material while you're cutting through. Not only is this highly modernised technology, it's a great way to keep you safe. You won't need to hold the material so close to the blade and risk cutting yourself.
- Dual-Handedness Availability: There's two buying options available, one for left-handed and one for right-handed tailors. You can get a pair which suit your individual needs to ensure you have the best experience.
The main issue with these scissors is the lack of coating around the scissor handles, which can make them painful or uncomfortable to use for extended periods of time.
CHECK CURRENT PRICE