Sewing as a Beginner
Getting into the hobby and craft of sewing can be a somewhat daunting task if you do not quite know where to start. Sewing is the perfect activity because it is engaging of both your mind and your hands, and you nearly always end up with a physical object at the end of every project. If you are a novice sewer and you are trying to figure out what sewing machine you should invest in, things can get overwhelming, fast. There are a few aspects of what projects you want to take on before you go out and buy your first sewing machine.
What to Look for in a Beginner Sewing Machine
What do you need in a beginner sewing machine? Here are a few things you should definitely have on your first sewing machine.
- Foot attachments- Look for a sewing machine that offer several types of foot attachments that will let you practice basic techniques like putting in a zipper or sewing on a button.
- Stitch types- As a beginner, you will not need a ton of different stitch types, however you should look for a few stitches like zig-zags and an automatic buttonhole (either a one-step or a four step- is fine).
- Free arm- It is extremely useful to have a free arm on your sewing machine if you plan on sewing garments. A free arm is vital if you are planning on sewing any tubular items like shirt sleeves, trouser legs, or collars.
Singer Promise 1409 Sewing Machine
The Singer Corporation is an American manufacturer of sewing machines that has been active since the 1850s. They have been a leader in the sewing machine manufacturing business for over 100 years, and with good reason. Singer sewing machines are durable, reliable, and last for years, so it is no wonder that Singer continues to be a trailblazer in the sewing machine industry.
The Singer Promise 1409 sewing machine is a versatile sewing machine that is perfect for the entry-level sewer. Even if you do not yet know how to even set up a sewing machine, you can definitely learn on this easy to use sewing machine. This machine is obviously aimed at beginners, as it is extremely easy to use; it is a great sewing machine to learn all of the basics on. It weighs only 4.9kg, which means that it is extremely light and portable. This is especially helpful if you are a novice and will be bringing your sewing machine back and forth to and from sewing classes. Whether you are interested in dressmaking, embroidery, quilting, or any other craft, the Singer Promise 1409 sewing machine is an amazing device to get started on.
The Singer Promise 1409 sewing machine includes nine stitch options that includes six utility stitches along with two decorative stitches and one four-step buttonhole. It also has the capacity to run a twin needle and includes a free arm, which is critical if you plan on sewing cylindrical parts of garments like collars, trouser legs, and shirt sleeves. You can also manually adjust the thread tension on this sewing machine in addition to the stitch width and length. With a front loading bobbin and an extra high presser foot lifer, this sewing machine has everything you need in order to get started on your sewing journey.
The top speed of the Singer Promise 1409 is 750 stitches per minute, which is plenty fast enough if you are a beginner at sewing. It has a 70 watt motor, which is an acceptable wattage for a sewing machine of this type and size. With purchase of this sewing machine, you also get a few accessories that are useful. These include:
- Four snap-on presser feet (a standard/all purpose foot, a buttonhole foot, a button foot, and a zipper foot)
- Four bobbins
- Several extra needles
- A quilt guide
- A darning plate
- A lint brush and a seam ripper
- An oil dispenser
- A screw driver
- This particular sewing machine comes with a light attached to it, which is a great addition if you are working in an area with low light. This allows you to illuminate the working part of whatever project you are working on.
- Users have noted that the reverse button that is included on this sewing machine is perfect for resewing and reinforcing the beginnings and ends of your projects.
- There is an accessories case included on the sewing machine, however you must remove it every time that you need to rewind the bobbin or change out your threads.
- Some customers have complained that threading the machine is a bit hard to do, since this machine does not include an automatic needle threader.
This sewing machine is extremely affordable and for under £100, you get a lot of value for the money spent. If you are looking to take up sewing as a hobby, the Singer Promise 1409 sewing machine has all of the features that you will need to grow your skill set.
- Automatic sewing machine with 15 operations of Needlework
- Free arm, piped seam
- infilatura test system error
- To support Protective Cover